An AED in a school, college, or athletic department can save a life because cardiac arrest strikes people of all ages. A tight budget shouldn't stand in the way of acquiring an AED: Every school should have an AED defibrillator, especially a school or college with athletic programs.
Cardiac Science AED Programs for Schools and Athletics
Sudden cardiac arrest (SCA) can strike adults and children of any fitness level. Each year we lose 7,000 young people to SCA, and Commotio cordis
is the second leading cause of sudden cardiac death in school athletes. In cases of sudden cardiac arrest, resuscitation without immediate shock from an AED is exceptionally rare.
The Cost of Safety
Most schools can't afford to have an MD or EMT on campus during school hours and after-school activities – but they can afford to have easy-to-use AED defibrillators with voice prompts to walk users through the simple steps necessary in live-saving defibrillation and CPR.
Schools that have needed a portable AED machine now say they can't imagine being without it. That's why so many have carried out fundraising and sponsorship campaigns to keep their children, staff, and visitors "heart safe."
Learn about school AED funding
with a tight budget.
Why Cardiac Science Powerheart AEDs
Cardiac Science is one of the world's best-known makers of AED defibrillators. Our best-selling AED model for schools is the Powerheart AED G3 Plus
Schools are one of Cardiac Science's primary focuses. We are committed to making school AED programs successful and we've assisted with AED implementations in schools. Here are just a few of the reasons why schools choose to partner with us:
- Powerheart AEDs are dependable, easy-to-use defibrillators.
- Rescue Ready technology self-tests all main components (battery, hardware, software, and pads) daily to ensure anytime functionality.
- RescueCoach voice prompts and CPR metronome guide you through a very stressful rescue situation.
- The AED device knows when to (and when not to) deliver the shock.
- The text screen lends extra help in noisy and chaotic environments.
- The AED unit has a 7-year warranty and a 4-year full operational battery replacement guarantee.
Whether you are an elementary school, high school, college or university, a Cardiac Science defibrillation program is your best way to protect the many lives at your facility. A Cardiac Science Powerheart AED program gives a school's trained responders the ability to save a life without having to wait for emergency medical responders to arrive. To maximize the chances of SCA survival, Powerheart AED machines should be readily available throughout a school's campus, near classrooms, gymnasium, cafeteria, office, parking lot, and athletic fields.
Advocating for Funding
AEDs are life-saving — but only when AED technology is in place. There is a growing movement to make portable AEDs readily accessible throughout communities, including schools and athletic venues:
- Many states including New York, Illinois, and Pennsylvania are now mandating the placement of AEDs throughout their schools. AED legislation is pending in many other states.
- Sudden cardiac arrest strikes approximately 7,000 children in the US every year; often these children fall victim to SCA while at schools or on a playing field. School-age athletes are particularly vulnerable.
Some of the most informed advocates for funding AEDs in schools are athletic coaches and trainers. Sports professionals know that sudden cardiac arrest can strike children of any fitness level and that the only effective treatment for ventricular fibrillation
is a shock from a defibrillator. An informed coach or parent is usually the first one to bring a portable defibrillator to athletic practices and events. Schools and athletic programs need to be equipped for a cardiac emergency. If defibrillation is administered within one minute of collapse, the survival rate for SCA goes up 90 percent.
For more information on how Cardiac Science can help you develop a successful program, please contact us
A downloadable PDF of our most popular products for the office
A How-to-Use video demonstration of the Powerheart G3 Plus
Discover Cardiac Science: Who We Are and What We Do
||Our video library
Meet a 16-year-old saved on the baseball field