At the end of January 2013, Metra becomes the second transit agency in the country to deploy automated external defibrillators (AEDs) on all its commuter trains. At the time of this entry, Metra was in the final stages of their large scale installation of Powerheart® G3 Plus Fully Automatic AEDs in approximately 300 Metra rail cars. In addition, AEDs are being placed in major work facilities and in its Metra police vehicles. Adding to the deployment, Cardiac Science donated 30 additional AEDs to Metra. In total, the deployment will total 440 Powerheart G3 Plus AEDs.
As part of the deployment, all train crews are being trained in CPR and the use of a AED. It is estimated that about 1,000 Metra employees are being trained.
Metra recently held a press event to announce the deployment program. The announcement follows Illinois Governor Pat Quinn’s long advocacy of expanding access to the life saving devices. “We want to make AEDs as common as fire extinguishers in the course of our daily lives, whether it be a school or another public place, or traveling,” Quinn said. “That’s how you really have great public health, preventing bad things from happening in the first place. We don’t want people to die from sudden cardiac arrest, and we can prevent that with an AED.” Watch the Metra press event.
For more information on Metra’s AED program, please contact Cardiac Science AED Certified Specialist, Bryan Heriaud.
- Powerheart AED G3 Plus
- Powerheart AED G3 Fully Automatic and Semi-automatic
- Powerheart AED G3 Pro
- Powerheart AED G3 Trainer
- AED Program Management
Last 5 posts
- AtlantiCare Heart Heroes Donate AEDs To Ventnor School - May 16th, 2013
- Honor Society at East Stroudsburg University Receives AEDs - May 9th, 2013
- Children's Museum Receives AEDs for Rescue and Education - May 2nd, 2013
- New Mexico State Police Equipped with AEDs to Fight SCA - April 18th, 2013
- US Postal Service Honors ‘Heroes Among Us’ - March 14th, 2013